NOT A RECIPE
As much as I am passionate about healthy recipe development, I am equally as passionate about self-care.
The world is a complex place to live in. From our relationships, jobs, and health, it can be difficult to find balance in our everyday. I firmly believe the better you take care of yourself then the better you will be in all aspects in your life. Whether it’s a new product or an anti-stress method, I am always open to discovering and trying something new for self improvement. I have decided to introduce health and wellness tips and recommendations to my blog. Please subscribe (to the right –>) so you don’t miss out on anything!
My first self-care tip is all about tongue scraping!
I was turned on to tongue scraping after listening to the The Skinny Confidential Him and Her Podcast episode with Ayurvedic nutritionist Sahara Rose. It’s definitely worth a listen and I’ve posted the link below. To be honest, after listening I felt peer pressured to scrape my tongue as they made it sound almost gross not to. Thanks to Amazon, I purchased one within minutes and I’m so happy I did. And yes, it is gross not to tongue scrape.
So what is tongue scraping and why is it beneficial?
Tongue scraping is an Ayurvedic practice. Thousands of years before there was modern medicine there was the Ayurveda. Today it can be considered an alternative medicine and is practiced worldwide. I’m not going to go in to deep detail about it but two of the main principles is that the mind and body are intimately connected, and nothing is more powerful to heal than the mind. More relevant to my tip, Ayurveda preaches tongue cleaning to improve your overall health.
- Improves your immunity, digestion and dental health by removing toxins and bacteria.
- It helps prevent bad breath by removing the white coating on your tongue. Your morning breath won’t be as gnarly.
- It improves your taste buds making food more satisfying. You may not need that extra sugar or salt.
- Creates awareness of your overall health. Scraping requires you look at your tongue daily. If your tongue is covered in a thick white coating it may mean there is an increase of toxins in your system. If it’s clean and shiny its an indication you are in good health.
- Your mouth just feels cleaner!
Tongue Scraping 101:
- Choose a U-shape stainless steel tongue scraper. Stainless steel is better than copper because of potential copper toxicity.
- Tongue scrape in the morning OR morning and night. I do it twice a day.
- Tongue scrape BEFORE your brush your teeth, drink, or eat, so the bacteria on your tongue doesn’t spread throughout your mouth and isn’t swallowed.
- Starting at the back of your tongue (as far as you can go without gagging) gently scrape the tongue 7-14 times, rinsing after each scrape, until unwanted coating is removed.
Tongue scraper of choice: Health and Yoga Tongue Scraper
TSC Episode: https://www.theskinnyconfidential.com/him-her-103/
SKIN CARE OBSESSION: HONEY GIRL ORGANICS
Within the past year I made over my skincare, makeup, and shower routine by replacing standard products with all natural. I’ve become very passionate about what I put on my skin. Your skin is your largest organ and can absorb any chemicals you put on it. I’m going to dig deep into this topic in a future post, but for now I want to share with you my obsession of the moment: Honey Girl Organics.
Honey Girl Organics skincare line uses honey as it’s special ingredient for beautiful skin. I’m currently using their Facial Cleanser/Makeup remover, Regenerating Face Serum, and their Eye & Face Cream. I’ve experimented with lots of other natural skincare products and this brand happens to be my favourite…by far. My skin has never felt softer.
Firstly, its all natural and made in Hawaii. I’ve never seen cleaner ingredients in a skincare product. Their product is made up of organic honey, beeswax, royal jelly, extra virgin olive oil and a bunch of other oils like hemp seed, rose, and jojoba. It doesn’t contain fillers, additives, parabens, or any of the bad stuff.
One of the greatest features of their face cream is that it is 2 in 1, Face and Eye Cream! I never liked buying a second cream, especially since creams are so expensive to begin with. This cream is delicate enough that it is suitable for your eye are as well as your face.
I’m all for spending that extra dollar on skincare if it’s worth it. Fortunately, Honey Girl Organics is sold at a reasonable price for a quality product. The Face and Eye Creme is $32.
I wish I was being paid to go on and on about this product but I’m not. I don’t have enough followers for that. I’m just really passionate about Honey Girl Organics. I purchased their product from Cap Beauty, but it’s also available on their website, and Amazon.
Here are the products I am currently using: